Configuring Subscription Settings for a Listserv
Last modified 2/14/2022
Listserv subscription settings determine whether or not people can subscribe themselves or if membership must be granted by a listserv owner.
Before You Begin
As a listserv owner, you can log in to the Listserv Management website at https://listserv.ilstu.edu/ and change your listserv’s subscription settings. You can also add and remove subscribers on your listservs.
Listserv Subscription Settings
Your listserv’s subscription settings determine whether or not people can subscribe themselves to your listserv. There are three options:
- Open: Subscription requests are automatically accepted.
- By Owner: Subscription requests are sent to the owner(s) for approval.
- Closed: Subscription requests are rejected. Only the owner can add new members.
Regardless of the subscription settings you choose, listserv owners can always add and remove members.
Configure Subscriber Settings for a Listserv
To configure your listserv’s subscription settings, do the following:
- Log in to Listserv Management at https://listserv.ilstu.edu/.
- Expand the List Management tab.
- Click on List Configuration.
- Once a list is selected from the first field, you may scroll down to view the List Header Details. You can either manually edit, or edit with the Wizard by clicking the related button above the current header.
- The "Subscription=" attribute will need to be modified to reflect either Open, by Owner, or Close.
- Click the Subscription tab.
- Locate the field labeled "Subscription=".
- Click the drop-down menu and choose one of the options: “Open, By Owner, or Closed.”
- Choose Open if you want allow people to subscribe to your listserv on their own.
- Choose By Owner if you want to allow people to subscribe to your listserv on their own, but you also want to approve new subscribers before they are added to your listserv.
- Choose Closed if you only want listserv owners like yourself to be able to add new members to the listserv.
- We recommend leaving the Confirm box unchecked. The Confirm option requires subscribers to confirm their email address by replying to a listserv email with “OK” before membership is granted.
- Click Save.
For Technical Assistance, Submit a Help Ticket, or contact the Technology Support Center by calling (309) 438-4357, or by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu.
- Adding and Removing Owners on a Listserv
- Adding and Removing Subscribers on a Listserv
- Configuring a Listserv for Moderation
- Configuring Email Attachment Settings for your Listserv
- Configuring Email Reply-To Settings for your Listserv
- Configuring Subscription Settings for a Listserv
- Logging in to Listserv Management
- Requesting a Listserv
- Subscribing and Unsubscribing to a Listserv
- Viewing all Current Subscribers for a Listserv