Install and Connect Using the VPN Profile for MacOS
Last modified 2/15/2022
These steps are written for the latest version of MacOS
Configure the Mac's built-in VPN client so you can access restricted resources from off campus.
The VPN Profile for MacOS is a profile that the University makes available to students, faculty, and staff which may be used configure the MacOS built-in VPN client to establish a VPN connection with the University from off campus. If you have already installed the VPN profile on your Mac, you may skip to the section below entitled Connect with the VPN Profile. If you need to install the profile on your Mac, proceed to the next section.
Download the VPN Profile for MacOS
You may connect with the VPN Profile for MacOS in order to access restricted electronic resources from an off campus location. It is not necessary to connect with VPN when you are on campus. Students, faculty, and staff may download and install the VPN Profile for MacOS from the downloads page.
Store Your ULID in VPN Profile
To configure the VPN profile to store your ULID, do the following:
- Click Apple Menu → System Preferences.
- Click Network.
- Click ISU VPN on the left side.
- Enter your ULID in the Account Name: field where it says ULID Here.
- Click the Apply button.
The VPN profile for Illinois State University now contains your ULID. You will still be prompted to enter your password each time you connect.
Add VPN Menu to the MacOS Menu Bar
Installing the VPN profile does not automatically add a VPN menu to your menu bar in MacOS. To add a VPN menu to your menu bar, do the following:
- Click Apple Menu → System Preferences → Network.
- Click ISU VPN on the left side of the Network window.
- Put a check mark in the box labeled, Show VPN status in menu bar.
- Close the Network window.
The VPN status menu now appears on your menu bar. The button looks like a small square with 4 lines going through it.
Connect with the VPN Profile
You must have the VPN profile installed to complete these instructions (see above). To connect using the VPN profile with MacOS, do the following:
- Locate the VPN menu on the menu bar.
- The VPN menu is a black icon with vertical lines and is located on the right side of the menu bar near the wireless icon.
- If you do not see the VPN menu, you can add the icon to your menu bar (see section above).
- Click the VPN menu → Connect ISU VPN.
- Enter your ULID and password.
- Click OK.
- Once the VPN connection has been established, you will see a message that says, "Welcome to ISU".
- Click OK.
You have now established a VPN connection. To disconnect, click the VPN icon on the top menu bar and click Disconnect ISU VPN
Disconnect from VPN
When you are finished using your VPN connection, you should disconnect. Do the following:
- Click the VPN icon on the menu bar.
- Click Disconnect ISU VPN.
You are now disconnected from the VPN connection.
How to Get Help
- Do I Need a VPN?
- Setting Up a VPN on a ChromeBook
- Install and Connect with the VPN Profile for iOS
- Using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Install and Connect Using the VPN Profile for MacOS
- VPN at Illinois State University