Unable to Access WiFi on MacOS after Changing ULID Password
Last modified 2/14/2022
If your password expires or you have updated your password, you could have trouble reconnecting to ISUNet and/or other ISU Wireless Networks. This articles goes over reconnecting to Illinois State University's Wireless Network after updating a password.
This issue applies to MacOS 10.7 and higher.
- Your ISU ULID password has expired and you find that you are now unable to access the network.
- You have changed your ULID password prior to it expiring and you were disconnected from the network and unable to reconnect.
- Your email was compromised and your password was scrambled to prevent unauthorized access to your account. Now you can't access the network.
- If your email was compromised, you will need to go through an Account Recovery Process by contacting the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357
- What to do if you Suspect your ULID Account has been Compromised
- MacOS is storing your old ULID password and will not prompt you to enter your new password. To change your ULID password, you can access the Keychain.
- You can try Forgetting the Network before attempting to reconnect. For more information on Forgetting Networks, see Forgetting Wireless Networks on a Mac.
To update the University wireless network password within your Mac Keychain, do the following:
- Click Spotlight, located in the upper-right corner. This is the Search function of your Mac and looks like a magnifying glass .
- Type 'Keychain Access' and click the result to open it.
- Select Login under Default Keychains to the left (Figure 1).
- Select the Passwords tab (Figure 2).
- To the right will the be list of wireless networks and other locations where a password is saved. Double-click the name of the wireless network (e.g. isunet or isu-restnet-StartHere). You may have to scroll to find it.
- MacOS 10.7 and above displays only the name of the wireless network (e.g. isunet or isu-restnet-StartHere).
- Double-click on the network isunet.
- Place a check mark in the Show Password check box (See Figure 3).
- Enter your computer password to authenticate (the password you use to log into your computer/workstation) so you can make a change to the network password in the Keychain.
- Click Allow after being asked to enter your password to approve changes. The text box to the right of Show Password will display your old password (See Figure 3).
- Type in your new password in place of the old password.
- Click Save Changes.
- Reboot your system to ensure all changes are synced up with your password. Then turn the Wi-Fi off and back on again before attempting to reconnect.
You should now be able to connect to ISUNet and other ISU wireless networks.
For Technical Assistance, you can Submit a Help Ticket, or contact the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357, by email at ITHelp@ilstu.edu
- Adding a Contact to the Contacts App in MacOS
- Adding a Group Contact to the Contacts App in MacOS
- Changing Sound Settings on a Mac
- Displaying Mounted Drives on the MacOS Desktop
- Flushing the DNS Cache in MacOS
- Force Quit a Program in MacOS
- Forgetting Wireless Networks on a Mac
- Installing Microsoft Office for MacOS from Microsoft 365
- Map Network Drives in MacOS
- Setting a Default Printer in MacOS
- Unable to Access WiFi on MacOS after Changing ULID Password
- Updating MacOS and Apple Applications
- Which Version of MacOS Am I Running