Requiring Authentication for your Zoom Meeting
Last modified 2/11/2022
The features mentioned in this article reflect the latest version of the Zoom desktop client. For information on how to update Zoom, see Updating Zoom
This feature is enabled by default for all ISU Zoom accounts and will require your meeting participants to login to with their ISU account (ULID@Ilstu.edu). With this option required, anyone outside of ISU will be unable to join your Zoom meeting. This feature can aid in minimizing meeting disruption; however, vigilance of the meeting host and the Best Practices for Managing and Protecting a Zoom Meeting should be followed to prevent disruption.
Additional information on Zoom bombing and how to protect your meeting is available at An advisory on Zoom “Bombers” and “Raiders”
Enable the Require Authentication Option
As of September 27th, 2020, Zoom requires that all meetings have a waiting room or a passcode enabled for all paid accounts. This means that participants cannot join unless they either have a passcode to join the meeting, or if the meeting host manually allows the participant to join the meeting from the waiting room
This option is available in the Zoom desktop client and the Zoom app through ReggieNet and is only available for scheduled meetings. Starting a meeting from the new meeting option of the app will not allow the option to be set.
To enable the option using the Zoom tool in your ReggieNet course, do the following:
- Go to ReggieNet.IllinoisState.edu and sign in using your ULID and Password.
- Enter the course you wish to set the meeting for.
- Click Zoom from the left-hand toolbar.
- Click Schedule a New Meeting.
- Enter the meeting details.
- Locate the Meeting Options section and click the box next to Only signed-in users with specified domains can join meetings.
- Ensure the box is checked next to Include approved domains ilstu.edu.
- Click Save.
Students attempting to join this meeting will be prompted to login prior to entering the meeting.
Zoom Desktop Client
To enable the option to require login for your Zoom meeting from the desktop client, do the following:
- Open the Zoom desktop client.
- Click Schedule.
- Enter the meeting details and click Advanced Options at the bottom.
- Click the box next to Only authenticated users can join.
- ISU Login will appear by default in the dropdown menu under the setting. This should be left as is.
- Click Schedule.
Participants attempting to join this meeting will be prompted to login prior to entering the meeting.
- For Technical Assistance, you may Submit a Help Ticket, or contact the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357, or contact them via email at SupportCenter@ilstu.edu
- For instructional support, please contact the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology at CTLT@ilstu.edu or (309) 438-2542.
- For assistance using Zoom in classroom spaces contact Learning Spaces & Audio Visual Technologies at (309) 438-7412
- Allow Non-ISU Participants in a Zoom Meeting
- Assigning a Co-Host in Zoom Meetings
- Best Practices for Managing and Protecting a Zoom Meeting
- Changing your Zoom Profile Picture
- Editing Zoom Transcripts
- Hosting a Zoom Meeting
- Joining a Zoom Meeting
- Nonverbal Feedback During Zoom Meetings
- Polling for Zoom Meetings
- Recommended Settings for Secure Zoom Meetings
- Recording a Zoom Meeting
- Requiring Authentication for your Zoom Meeting
- Scheduling a Meeting in Zoom
- Setting a Virtual Background in Zoom
- Setting up Scheduling Privilege in Zoom
- Sharing a Whiteboard in Zoom
- Starting and Managing Breakout Rooms in Zoom
- Switching Views in a Zoom Meeting
- Testing the Zoom Application
- Touch Up My Appearance Feature with Zoom
- Troubleshooting Common Problems with Zoom
- Updating Zoom
- Using the Zoom In-Meeting Chat
- Using Zoom on Mobile Devices
- Zoom Screen Sharing
- Zoom Screen Sharing from an iPhone/iPad