Adding Additional Verification Methods for Multi-Factor Authentication
Last modified 2/1/2022
It is recommended that you set more than one verification method for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). This can be helpful if your initial method of verification is not available for any reason or experiencing any unforeseen technical difficulties. Setting an additional verification method will give you the option to ‘Sign in Another Way’ when being asked to verify/authenticate your login to Microsoft 365 resources.
Use the following steps for setting up an additional method of verification for MFA:
- Start by navigating to your MFA Account Portal at https://aka.ms/MFASetup . If not already signed in, you may be asked to Authenticate/Verify your login.
- Click the + Add Method option (See Figure 1).
- If your initial choice when you first Setup MFA was the Phone Call or Text option, and you want to use the Authenticator Application, you will be asked to go through the set-up process for Adding the Application (See Figure 2). Detailed instructions for setting up the application can be found in the following knowledge article: Setting Up Multi-Factor Authentication using the Mobile App
- If your initial choice when you first setup MFA was the Authenticator Application and you would like to choose a Phone call/text option, you will be called at the new number to verify it is you making the change (you must have the new phone with you when making this change) (See Figure 3 and 4). Press the # Pound Key when prompted.
- Your new verification method is now added to the list of authentication methods in your MFA Account Portal (See Figure 5).
For technical assistance, Submit a Help Ticket, or contact the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357 or by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu
- Adding Additional Verification Methods for Multi-Factor Authentication
- Change the Default Method for Authenticating with MFA
- Enabling Multi-Factor Authentication
- Remembering your Multi-Factor Authentication Verification Method
- Setting Up Multi-Factor Authentication using the Mobile App
- Setting Up Multi-Factor Authentication using your Phone Number - Text Message Verification
- Setting Up Multi-Factor Authentication using your Phone Number - Phone Call Verification
- Setting Up the Time Based One Time Passcode Authentication Method
- Sign in Using Multi-Factor Authentication