Using the Zoom In-Meeting Chat
Last modified 9/14/2023
The In-Meeting Chat allows you to send chat messages to other users within a Zoom meeting. You can send a private message to an individual user or you can send a message to an entire group. As the host, you can choose who the participants can chat with or to disable chat entirely.
In-Meeting chat can be saved manually or automatically. Auto-save chat will automatically save your in-meeting chat locally on your computer. You can also manually save your chat when you start local or cloud recording.
Private Messages between participants are not viewable by the host.
Accessing the Chat In-Meeting from a Desktop or Laptop Computer
- While in a meeting, click Chat in the meeting controls (Figure 1).
- This will open the chat on the right. You can type a message into the chat box, or click the drop-down button labeled To: Everyone if you want to send a message to a specific person (See Figure 2).
- When new chat messages are sent to an individual or all meeting attendees, a preview of the message will appear and Chat will flash orange in your host controls (Figure 3).
Chat while Screen Sharing
- While Screen Sharing, click More in the Meeting Controls. Choose Chat (Figure 4).
- A floating chat window will appear.
- If you receive new chat messages while in screen share, the More button will flash orange to indicate a new incoming message. You can click on More, then Chat to open the window.
Accessing the Chat from a Mobile Device
- While in a meeting, tap the screen to make the controls appear.
- Click or tap on Participants (Figure 5).
- At the bottom of the Participants list, click on Chat (Figure 6).
- You can type your chat message and click Send, or if you want to change who it is being sent to, click the Arrow next to Send To: and choose a different person or group.
- Incoming chats will be displayed at the bottom of your screen. You can click on Participants, and then Chat to view them (Figure 7).
Changing In-Meeting Chat Settings
If you are the meeting host, you can change the In-meeting chat settings.
- While in a meeting, click Chat in the meeting controls.
- Click More to display In-meeting chat settings (See Figure 8).
- You can access the following options:
- Save a Chat: Save all chat messages in a TXT file
- Share file in meeting: Send a file in the chat
- Allow attendees to chat with: Control who participants can chat with
- No one: Disables in-meeting chat
- Host only: Only the host can send message to everyone (participants can still send private messages to the host).
- Everyone publicly: Participants can only send public messages. Public messages are visible to all participants.
- Everyone Publicly and Privately: Participants can send public or private messages.
How to Get Help
- Technical assistance is available through the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357, by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu, or by Live Chat at Help.IllinoisState.edu.