Configuring Outlook in MacOS for Microsoft 365 Email and Calendar
Last modified 9/19/2023
You may configure Outlook 2016 for MacOS for use with your Illinois State University Microsoft 365 email account. To configure Outlook on a Windows machine, please refer to Configuring Outlook for Microsoft 365 Email and Calendar in Windows
Configuring Outlook 2016 on your Mac for Microsoft 365 Email and Calendar
To configure Outlook for use with your Microsoft 365 email account in MacOS, do the following:
- Open Outlook.
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts... → Add Email Account.
- Enter your email address in the E-mail address field. Click Continue when finished. You may be prompted for a password.
- Your account should be added after authentication. After the account is added, you may be prompted to add another account. Click Done (unless you are adding a different account).
- A new "Accounts" window will appear after confirming your account. In that box, find the "Method" field and make sure User Name and Password is selected.
- Enter your email address and password in the fields labeled User name and Password:
- Exit from the window when finished. Your account should now be added, unless you are prompted for additional information, such as the possible messages below.
- If you receive the message, "Outlook was redirected to the server autodiscover-s.outlook.com to get new settings for your account yourULID@ilstu.edu'. Do you want to allow this server to configure your settings? Click Allow.
- If you receive the message, "Autodiscover failed. Try configuring manually. enter outlook.office365.com and click Add Account.
Outlook is now configured for use with your Microsoft 365 email account, and your email, contacts, and calendar data will begin to sync to your account.
Make sure you entered your email and password correctly and try again. Also, be sure to update the server field to outlook.office365.com vs .edu.
Removing your account from Outlook 2016 may take up to an hour. If the account is not automatically removed in that time, hold the Control key and click the Outlook icon in the dock. Click Force Quit in the dock to close Outlook. After the program has closed, reopen Outlook and you will be able to re-add your Microsoft 365 account.
Removing an Email Account
You may remove an email account from your Outlook for Mac email client. In order to do so, do the following:
- Launch the Outlook.
- On the menu bar, click Tools → Accounts.
- In the Accounts pane, select the email account you wish to remove and click the minus sign icon underneath -.
- When asked, Are you sure you want to delete this account?, click Delete.
You have successfully removed the account from the Outlook email client.
How to Get Help
- Technical assistance is available through the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357, by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu, or by Live Chat at Help.IllinoisState.edu.